This is an official policy approved by the Pure Water for the World, Inc. Board of Directors.
PWW maintains the highest level of respect for the privacy of its donors.
What information we collect
We use personal information collected from donors for the purposes of processing payments and communicating with donors about PWW, as well as conducting the fundraising and other operations of PWW. This information may include name, amount donated, address, telephone number, donor comments, e-mail address, and any other personal information provided to us (“Donor Data”). For donations by check, Donor Data may also include the data visible on the check.
As part of providing an online experience for donors, we may store various data that are collected as part of standard web operations (including things like user agent strings, ip addresses, referrer strings, and cookies). We may use this data for the purposes described in this policy.
How we use that information
Donor Data may be used for these kinds of purposes:
- Distributing receipts and thanking donors for donations
- Informing donors about upcoming fundraising and other activities of PWW
- Internal analysis, such as research and analytics
- Record keeping
- Reporting to applicable government agencies as required by law
- Surveys, metrics, and other analytical purposes
- Other purposes related to the fundraising operations
Unless otherwise stated, we do not publish, sell, trade, rent or exchange Donor Data. Comments that are provided by donors may be publicly published and may be used in promotional materials. We may use available information to supplement the Donor Data to improve the information we use to drive our fundraising efforts. We allow donors the option to have their name publicly associated with their donation unless otherwise requested as part of the online donation process.
We use data gathered for payment processors and other service providers only for the purposes described in this policy.
Pure Water for the World, Inc.
PO Box 55Rutland, VT 05702
We are committed to protecting donor personal information from unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction. Among other things, we undertake a range of security practices, including measures to secure web access to sensitive data and undertake efforts to address security vulnerabilities for various tools and databases.
Donor financial information is kept limited to administrative staff and all electronic programs are password protected on secure servers.
Third-Party Platform Policies
In addition to the donor privacy policies PWW has in place, following are the privacy policies from the fundraising platforms we use:
We may disclose information when required by law, when needed to protect our rights, privacy, safety, property, donors, or users, and when necessary to enforce our terms of service.
We seek to retain donor-related information only as needed to fulfill the purposes described in this policy unless a longer retention period is required by law or regulations. For example, tax laws in the United States and the State of Vermont require PWW to keep contact information and contribution level of donors on file.
Donor Bill of Rights
We support the Donor Bill of Rights.
Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the not-for-profit organizations and causes they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of the organization’s mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization’s governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization’s most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share (currently, Pure Water for the World does not share donor names).
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers
The text of this statement in its entirety was developed by the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP), Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), and the Giving Institute: Leading Consultants to Non-Profits.
NOTE: If you want any of the information described above, please contact the Pure Water for the World, Inc. office.