people do not have access to clean water
Water is essential for life.
Safe water is the basis for human health and wellbeing and the foundation to healthy economies and communities.
Unsafe Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Practices…
Result in a Staggering Number of Illnesses and Deaths
- Each year, > 2 million deaths are attributed to unsafe water, sanitation and hygiene practices. 90% of these deaths are among children, mostly in developing countries. (Source)
- 2.5 billion people have no access to basic sanitation. (Source)
- 1 in 9 people on Earth lack access to safe drinking water. (Source)
… And Directly Contribute To Perpetual Economic Hardship
- When a parent is sick, productive work and income is lost.
- When a child is sick, school is missed. Persistent illnesses impact physical and mental development and result in significant and long-term consequences to the child’s future.
- 443 million school days are lost each year due to water-related diseases. (Source)
- Patients suffering from waterborne diseases occupy 50% of all hospital beds in the developing world. (Source)
- Repeated diarrheal diseases take a lifelong toll on health, productivity, and longevity, and perpetuate a cycle of endless poverty.
Safe water is medicine.
It saves lives. It brings new hope and establishes the foundation for real change.
Sustainable, cost-effective solutions exist to provide safe water to everyone.